Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Z-wave migration to Home Assistant
Just finished moving from CQC/Smartthings to Home assistant with CQC as the front end.
CQC seems to work just fine including as a secondary controller on the Home Assistant Z-wave network.

My zwave setup:
Home Assistant(Yellow):
Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus S2 USB Stick ZST10

CQC:
Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5, Z-Wave Plus USB

I had to migrate 40+ Z-wave devices including lights, blinds, etc.
So after migration and you will just need to in CQC:
  • Do an include/exclude for the CQC Zwave stick to join the HA new Zwave network.
  • rescan each unit on the zwave driver client interface and also update names with new unit id's
  • Obviously leave the device names in CQC the same as you will need to rename each device as the device ID’s will change on the new Z-wave network.
  • I couldn’t get my locks to work after migration on CQC so moved them to the new HA CQC rest Polling Driver in CQC(Schlage  BE469).

Since you need to correlate the CQC ID to the HA ID(not sure why you cannot see the Zwave ID in HA) 
Just run this template once in Home Assistant and print out. Will give you all the device names and ID’s. Then just go in CQC and rename starting at device 2,3,4,5,etc. (see below)
I have noticed a bug/feature in CQC that if the device is already named and there is no longer a device at that ID you cannot rename:
  • Manual set the device type and then do an approve all.
  • Then change name and do a save.

HA template (in developer tools) to list device_id and names:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/ad...ces/374502

{% set ns = namespace(devices=[]) %}
{%- for device_id in states | map(attribute='entity_id') | map('device_id') | unique | reject('eq', none) %}
{%- set identifiers = device_attr(device_id, 'identifiers') | list | selectattr('0', 'eq', 'zwave_js') | selectattr('1', 'search', '^([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)$') | list | first | default %}
{%- if identifiers %}
  {%- set node = identifiers[-1].split('-')[-1] | int %}
  {%- set ns.devices = ns.devices + [(node, device_entities(device_id))] %}
{%- endif %}
{%- endfor %}
{%- for node, entities in ns.devices | sort(attribute='0') %}
{{ node }}:
{%- for entity in entities %}
- {{ entity }}
{%- endfor %}
{% endfor %}

Very happy my CQC touchscreens work great with HA and any new devices or other HA devices(zigby,etc) can be access via the Rest API Home assistant driver in CQC.
Good luck
Kevin
Denon 3808ci, 2112ci ,Sonos, NoVo Grand Concerto, Z-Wave(Lights,Locks), Zigbee switches,
iPads,Tivo,Hikvision,Elk-M1,Somfy RTS blinds+ZRTSI, Amazon Echos+Dots, Polk XRT12,
Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000, Rainmachine, Home Assistant, Tesla model S,
(02-03-2024, 05:13 PM)kfly Wrote: Just finished moving from CQC/Smartthings to Home assistant with CQC as the front end.
CQC seems to work just fine including as a secondary controller on the Home Assistant Z-wave network.

I know nothing about Home Assistant.  What is the advantage to doing this?  Any disadvantages?
I am new to Home Assistant but seems to be extremely popular because it is free and open-sourced. It has more features and device support than any Home Automation systems I have seen. (Front end is just cards like most other HA interfaces these days - boring )
https://www.home-assistant.io/

It is probably not a good fit for the entry level Home Automation people but for those with a little bit of knowledge it is really powerful. Lots of advanced macros and automations are possible.
I have basically moved all the automations  off Smartthings and  Elk-M1 onto the Home Assistant device. Since everything runs locally you aren't dependent on a cloud connection.

For me the perfect fit is to have CQC as the touchscreen front end(secondary Z-wave controller)  and have Home Assistant as the back end. It can interface with just about any devices(zigbee, Z-wave, MQTT, etc.) 

Food for thought.
K
Denon 3808ci, 2112ci ,Sonos, NoVo Grand Concerto, Z-Wave(Lights,Locks), Zigbee switches,
iPads,Tivo,Hikvision,Elk-M1,Somfy RTS blinds+ZRTSI, Amazon Echos+Dots, Polk XRT12,
Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000, Rainmachine, Home Assistant, Tesla model S,
(02-17-2024, 11:27 PM)kfly Wrote: For me the perfect fit is to have CQC as the touchscreen front end(secondary Z-wave controller)  and have Home Assistant as the back end. It can interface with just about any devices(zigbee, Z-wave, MQTT, etc.) 

Hey Guys.  Also wanted to say thanks for trying to keep some type of community of CQC alive! I've been playing with Home Assistant for a couple months now and it feels a lot like the CQC of old where it has a larger DIY community and supports a ton of different devices which I think CQC struggled with near the end especially. I'm also starting to get the hang of the interface and automated events system which seems pretty powerful.  I just don't like the UI cards based thing...

I'm heading down the same path as you Kfly where I'll keep CQC as my front end and will be using MQTT or other ways to interface the two systems to keep CQC current/alive.  I've had some luck with MQTT but find it a bit cumbersome to setup on the CQC side (text files to config).  I just noticed your new REST API driver so am hoping to give that a go as well.